Saturday 30 January 2016

Yorkshire: It's the North

| The wild scenery of Yorkshire. |
| The wild scenery of Yorkshire. |

England Trip 2015
Friday, March 27 

What we're full of now is our cottage and its wild Yorkshire surroundings. No matter where we've been in this county the view is simply historic. Even the trees radiate history! I can just see Richard III or Hotspur riding about while looking fierce in their cloaks and girded with swords. (I wish I would see Hotspur, specifically in the guise of Joe Armstrong...)

The trees are bare, except for the blossoms bursting out alongside the leaves. The sun was casting a glorious golden light, making all that fierce nature glow.

But we're supposed to lose the sun tomorrow to the presence of a definite rain, but I'm hoping for a sudden change that will prove the predictions wrong. Yet the sun today was one of the many things that reminded me how God is taking care of us, because it would have been utter chaos and terror for Mom (and me) trying to drive in the rain. I cannot be thankful enough that God spared us from that!

It was quite nerve-wracking enough without the rain. But Mom showed her skill with a stick shift, and God showed His love in protecting us. :) Its a little red Renault – quite snazzy – and by tomorrow it will be quite insured, no thanks to me.

The boot of our snazzy rental car.
The boot of our snazzy rental car.
Apparently all UK car rental companies must include CDWs (Collision Damage Waivers) in contracts – which nulls any coverage your credit card will give you (at least the one we had with Mastercard) – but if you book on a US website the CDW is (for us) conveniently optional. Thankfully we were able to change to another level of travel insurance that includes a zero deductible (we only had to cancel our current plan and buy the other for our remaining time). 

I am rather fond of World Nomad travel insurance after today. As we recovered in the New Moon pub in Collingham from our first terrifying leg on the road Mom got in touch with them and found out the good news (after she waited on hold a little and we prayed a lot). A cup of tea was so comforting just at that moment!

Landing in England! We're home!
Landing in England! We're home!

And now we are relishing the comfort of the cottage we are allowed to call home for four days. It feels nearly as good as home! Coming back to England made me feel so happy, and compared to Paris and Haarlem it actually feels familiar.

Except for the accents.

I love these accents. It's like we've been dropped into North & South! Our immigration officer had a textbook northern accent, and when we told him about our visit he said, "We're very proud of our country up here" (or, more accurately, "oop eer" :) ). He was friendly, replying to my comment that London is different from where I come from by saying, "I think London is different from anywhere." :)

Our lovely lodgings in the quaint village of Selby.
Our lovely lodgings in the quaint village of Selby.
Our host has a southern (English) accent, and is a very sweet lady, who appears to enjoy gardening with her husband in their large and lovely garden. They seem to be fairly well off, educated, hospitable people, providing us with Twining's tea and stacks of Yorkshire magazines and travel resources. I have put together a pile of books and magazines for my entertainment. :)

Studying up on my Yorkshire knowledge and history. ;)
Studying up on my Yorkshire knowledge and history. ;)
Time for tea!!
Time for tea!!


© 2016 Anna Morton

No comments:

Post a Comment